First daft question

Here is the first of many daft questions about simple things. I have a Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ now I have perused the forum and it seems that the red dot finder scope on these telescopes are next to useless so I was thinking of changing this for one of these:

Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight.

If I do how easy is it to fit the Rigel on to the telescope?? Is it a case of just swopping one for the other or do I have buy something else to mount it on or have to do drilling or something a bit more technical??? I would prefer to do a straight swop - if I can't do a straight swop can someone suggest a finder scope that will just swop over (not to expensive as I already have one expensive hobby!)

Jan

I think the way the standard RDF is fitted to the scope is unique to that range so it's not really a case of swapping out.

The Telrad and Quikfinders have bases with sticky pads (very sticky !) so they can be fixed anywhere on the tube where there is room - the Quikfinder needs much less space than the Telrad. The finders can be quickly removed from their bases when not in use.

The Rigel Quickfinder is really easy to fit, just use supplied sticky tape. I use mine all the time, then the 9x50 finderscope then the EP, no problems so far.( Also it unclips from its base if needed!

RDFs are really more suitable to telescopes with GOTOs, they're a waste of time on anything else.

Sorry to disagree but my mounts are undriven alt-azimuth and I rarely use anything but RDF's. I add an optical finder when it will help to combine it with the RDF's but my mainstay is RDF for finding.

Archived