NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 114/1000 Focuser Upgrade

i would like to know if it is possible to replace the stock sky watcher focuser , for a nice new crayford focuser. i am finding it hard to get a nice focus with the rack and pinion setup.

some ideas on a cheap but good crayford replacement would be very helpful to me. the focuser must be able to hold my canon 350D safely and secure.

one problem is the scope is Catadioptric and has a lens inside the focuser tube. would i need a Catadioptric crayford focuser if there is one.

thank you

I think you are gonna struggle to combine Crayford and Cheap into something useable with the scope. I tried with my little Konus (ST80 clone) but didn't want to spend at least double the cost of the scope on a focuser. In the end, I bought a roll of teflon tape and strips of it to the drawtube and tightened it up. This made a dramatic difference. I've used the same trick on my C80ED scope also.

I have a load spare... I can send you some if you want... (PM me your postal addy).

yes it feels sloppy, when focusing it jerks and is not smooth. i have also noticed lots of thick heavy clear grease around the top of the focuser and along the rack teeth. it looks more like something from a childs nose.

i do not mind paying over £100 for a decent focuser, as i could always use it on a new scope when i want bigger mirror and better quality. this is only my second telescope my other is a baby 3" newt, so would love to get the best out of it. and before i want a bigger mirror and more light

the problem is, any upgrade focuser (it there are any for that size Newt) I think will be set to the curve of the tube, so possibly not useful on a bigger tube. Never having used or owned a newt that may be totally wrong of course...

Archived