Newbie question about scopes

Thanks everybody for the great advice already recieved regarding getting my first real scope (Ordering Tomorrow:)).

My only expiereince of telescopes at the moment is the Tosy R Us / Tesco type:o.

Anyway trying to spot a few things over the last few days with the Tesco Telescience one , basically the Moon and Jupiter as these seem to be its limits.

When viewing Jupiter (Which even through this scope looks amazing to me) the moons appear to be in line from top to bottom instead of side to side?

Have I set something up wrong? I cannot really ajust the focus or anything as the tripod is so unstable and moves if you touch any of it but it is pretty sharp with the 20mm eyepiece.

If you view Jupiter when it is low in the East or West, then the moons can appear other than "side to side" nothing is wrong.

Or, when using a telescope with a star diagonal and you turn the diagonal to get the eyepiece in a more comfortable position, the same can happen.

Hope that answers the question, Ed.

Archived