Problems balancing scope/setting up my mount

I wonder if anyone can help me here - im trying to setup a Skylux 70/700 refractor on an eq mount very similar to this

http://www.scopesnskies.com/images/products/large/b70%20kit%2012%20sq.jpg

When it comes to balancing..when i have the scope tube and counterbalance weights horizontal - with the RA clutch unscrewed, the scope seems balanced regardless where the weights are as the RA axis is fairly stiff and not loose enough for it to move much unless i physically turn it myself.

Also, do the scales on the RA/dec axis's need to be set to 0?

That certainly sounds like the axes are too tight - they should glide easily and the slightest overweight one side would be immediately obvious. It's not uncommon to strip these mounts down and re-grease them cos the factory gunk used get's too sticky at lower temperatures.

The scales will only get you in the roughly correct area of an object - not accurate enough to be spot on most of the time. Getting a good polar alignment, having a good finder/telrad, and knowing how to star hop I find much more practical for finding stuff. (plus I can't be bothered fiddling with small scales in the dark all the time lol). :p

Do you mind if I join into this discussion? This appears to be the thread with the closest similarity to my request for advice and information. Clearly, I'm a newbie to this website!

I have an antique Broadhurst, Clarkson & Co., very large brass double-barrelled telescope on an original folding oak tripod with a single-piece cast-iron mount. There are two little 'cradle-shaped' hooks on the top of the mount, (whereon rest the brass parts protruding from the sides of the centre of the telescope main tube). One of these little 'cradles' has broken off, and, being cast iron, cannot, I assume, be repaired/reattached. Thus it would appear the mount needs replacing. What kind of replacement mount could I use that will accommodate such an old and large telescope?

Any advice any member can give would be appreciated. Thank you!:p

I assume the B&C is around a 3" size....

(I'd try to get the original Alt-Az mount repaired just to keep the instrument complete.)

To give an upgrade, an EQ5 type mount and a set of suitable tube rings/ dovetail to fit the existing tube diameter, should work for visual....

Archived