Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Use of lunar polarising filter with newtonian

Grunthos

Went out tonight for first lunar session with my new 250PX dobo.

Good fun and great sights although having to rewire my brain to account for the "proper" inverted viewpoint (now all the photos in my lunar books make sense!:p)

Question: How can I most efficiently use my 2 piece variable polaring lunar filter?

e.g. On my SCT I screw one half of the filter onto the bottom of the 90deg star diagonal and the other half onto the base of the EP. I can then rotate the EP. With the EP sitting in the the 90deg diagonal (screws not tightened) I can easily adjust intensity of light reaching my eye. A tried and trusted trick.

Can't seem to do this on the new dobo.

i.e. no second thread on the end of star diagonal (no diagonal!) and I wouldn't want any EP fitted on the dobo unless well screwed in (as it is horizontal).

I can screw one (or both) parts of the filter in the base of an eyepiece but that means taking the EP out again if I want to adjust the polarisation (it's a bit of a pain)

Am I missing something? Are there any dobo tricks for 2 part variable lunar polarising filters?

Thanks in advance.

I just screw the assembly into the bottom of whatever ocular and turn them until i see the approximated suppression level and then insert it into the draw tube. Works fine this way. The way you do is better but its simple enough just to look through the ocular at anything, defocused image and all until the the field darken appreciably then, as mentioned, insert it.

Pete

Archived