NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing near coast - Good/Bad ?

Hello all

I wondered if observing near water is good or bad. I've been directed to a dark sky location but its close to the sea. Would observing near a body of water be bad for transparency or seeing ?

Thanks for any input !

Bart

It should be good for the seeing since the water doesn't produce the sort of turbulence associated with warm land. I believe this is one reason why astronomers such as Patrick Moore have set up shop in Selsey, which is on the South Coast.

I don't know how far from the sea you need to be in order to avoid salt contamination. I would guess it's only going to be carried by spray and so only be a problem if you're very near the sea. Not sure, though.

I observe fairly near the sea and I don't believe it leads to particular problems regarding transparency or even humidity. Being surrounded by lots of greenery seems to be worse in that regard. So try out the spot: it may well be good.

Archived