Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Christmas Present!!

Shane80

Hi again, finally on the 28th December night I discovered Jupiter and the moons, With my very own Telescope.

I have been buzzing with excitement and can not wait to the next clear sky in Sunny Cornwall!

Hope everyone had a Great Christmas.

A quick question I used my 25mm eyepiece and I saw Jupiter with the moons but Jupiter was very small. To get a closer image of Jupiter what do I need to do or get ??

Shane80:icon_scratch:

A lower focal length eyepiece will increase the magnification, due to the formula:

Magnification = Focal length of the telescope [Divided by] Focal length of the eyepiece

So, try using a lower focal length eyepiece; e.g. 10mm

Clear Skies,

Luke

Hi Shane. I would try using a 10mm EP or a 2x Barlow lens. Generally as you increase the barlow size or decrease the lense size you get more magnification but Jupiter will move through your field of vision faster so you will need to track it faster. Everything is a compromise to get the image in the FOV that suits you.

You didn't mention the scope and mount you have, I would be interested to know.

Thank you both for your advise!

The scope I am using is the Meade 114mm with the equatorial mount. I have only just started so its all new to me.

I have only got the accessories that came with the telescope, so I am thinking about getting the Meade accessories box set which comes with several eyepieces plus filter kit. Is this the best way to get the accessories ??

It's a matter of personal choice and available funds Shane. It's nice to be able to buy a kit, and have a box to keep it all in good condition, but some of the filters might not get used for some time and maybe never. You will get a reasonably good range of EP's.

On the other hand if you think you will stay with it you can build up a selection of good quality lenses which will reward you if you upgrade your system in future by buying individually. This is the option I followed and has stood me in good stead.

You will find as you upgrade to higher powered scopes that you will need some lower powered EP's to be able to see enough FoV.

Hope this helps you make the best decision for you.

David

Archived