New to everything

Hello to Everyone,

i have had my scope for a month or so, sky watcher 130m. i have been looking at jupiter night after night and its fantastic. i got a spc900nc webcam a few days ago and after a lot of work got it working on my mac. i went out last night to capture jupiter and everything was over exposed, i am using ixoperts driver and equinox pro. i changed the shutter speed but only got a white blob. i am also having problems with my tracker, just won't track. i have polar aligned. any help would be fantastic.

Thanks Richard

I cant help with the webcam as ive no experiance using one on a mac. It is obviously setting related and on my windows laptop id turn down the exposure in sharpcap (does sharpcap run on mac?)

With regards to the tracking as long as it is correctly aligned it sohuld track fine, I have the EQ3-2 version motor which looks identicle. Your absolutly certain you have aligned to the pole star? It can be a little tricky to start with esspecially with an EQ2 that, from memory doesnt have a polar scope "hole" to look through during alignment. I assume that the motor turns ok? When on and with no buttons pushed you can feel the motor pulseing? And when you push a button you can feel the motor speed up?

Hi Steve,

thanks for the reply, i am going to double check the polar alignment tonight. maybe take the scope off set the tripod up in the day time get it level then make sure the scope is weighted right.

the motor turns fine on all speeds and directions. the batteries ran out last night so hooked it up to the mains with the 6v dc and still no luck.

i am thinking bootcamp and running windows on the mac as it seems a lot easier.

I can't add to Steve's advice on alignment - as he says, ensure you are pointing North at Polaris. How quickly does Jupiter drift out of view?

As for the webcam, gain is another setting to look for (turn it down a bit).

Hi Lewis

i am sure i am. had the compuss and the star chart out. i am starting to doubt myself though.

on equinox 6 there is no gain setting that i can see. i turned the shutter speed right down did not really help. i also tried macam and with the daytime cap on the telescope i got a bit of detail.

18s to drift out.

thanks.

Not sure if the settings are similar but in sharpcap my exposure is usually around -9 give or take. If you can use windows it might be easier. Another thing, is the alt of your mount set correctly to you lattitude?

yes i think windows is the way, i have an old sony i will bring back to life. the settings on equinox only go to -2.. i have just been given a SLT mount which a friend is not using, now i have to try and fit my skywatcher 130 onto it. i had my lat set to 52 got it off the norfolk os map.

Thanks everyone for your help. i more i seem i get wrong the more hooked i am getting.

Archived