Beginner tries to see Jupiter

Hello everyone,

I am a beginner and im trying to see Jupiter through my new ETX-80 right now. I am using the 9.7 mm eyepiece. I made a picture of what i am seeing right now. The real image is a tiny bit sharper than the picture, i can see some surrounding stars (or maybe moons? im not sure).

Anyways, as you can see the image is not really good, i hope someone can give me some good beginner tips what i can do to see at least the texture of the planet. Or does this have something to do with the time of the year?

Thank you very much in advance!

Chris

post-31792-133877710244_thumb.jpg

Hey mallorcasaint,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately the telescope came with just two eyepieces, the second one is a 26mm. Would i still be able to get a better image with those two eyepieces? Or should i get more?

Thanks again!

Chris

OK first check the focus is spot on by getting the moons either side of Jupiter to look like small points...Then on the disk using the 9.7mm you should be able to make out the two main cloud bands which look like brown stripes..If the sky is steady you will occassionally be able to make out a few darker markings etc including the pale brown "red" sopt...

Thats is visually...If you attach a web cam then you can get much more detail in the form of an image...

Mark

Unfortunately some clouds are coming over right now spoiling my view. But i was able to focus a little more, i hope they move away soon else i'm going to have to try it later. But never the less it was already a pleasure to see four moons surrounding the planet. Thank you very much for your help guys. I will post an update if i managed to get a good view! :D

Chris

Archived