UK Stockists of Roll-off roof Observatories ?

Hi,

I am trying to find some UK stockists of roll-off roof observatories including fitting of a pier mount. Only managed to find one supplier so far (Alexanders) and would prefer to have a comparison and possibly a company further up t'north to save on courier costs.

Is anyone aware of any other UK suppliers - particularly interested in a "warm area" in addition to the observing area and thinking my neighbours would be more accepting of a garden shed approach rather than a radome (skypod, pulsar etc) :D

Many thanks in advance and a very Happy New Year to everyone.

Best wishes,

Steve

When planning my shed, I looked at alexanders web site and thought they looked to be good people. I also spoke on the phone. I did not manage to find anyone local who would give me a tour, or report.

I eventually decided against Alexanders on the grounds of distance. As well as their long delivery time.

I'm not convinced that was a good decision.

I did a lot of legwork around local 'shed makers' and the like. Nobody had any experience. In the end I bought a shed, modified to my spec, from a local maker. Then spent loads of time and money on further modifications and strengthening.

In the end it took so long and cost so much, it was 'Alexander' time and money.

They would have got it right first time.

If I had to do it again, I would definitely have a good talk to Alexanders.

To me a dome says 'expensive kit inside - please break in'

To my wife a dome was like having a bottle bank in the garden.

A shed just blends in.

I would do a design and either build it or get someone to build it for me. There really isn't much to it. I've just built my first roll off roof observatory after making three full run-off sheds. It works a treat. I wanted the roof and part of the sides to roll off because I have good horizons so I made the roof chassis in steel tubing and the rest in breeze block awaiting render. However, a fabricator would happily make the roof and a joiner the shed if you wanted to be all wood. Due to lack of space I made my roof roll off back over the warm room - which is the best thing I've had in a long time, believe me. It's - well - warm!! I love it.

Olly

ROLLING-3-S.jpg

1ST-NIGHT-5-S.jpg

WIDE-OPEN-S.jpg

Wow Olly that looks great - I would have to find someone though - my diy skills are still amateur and I have no building exp at all. Thanks Grunthos for Taylors, I didn't know about that, though the walls seem a little tall relative to the shed footprint. I might enquire at some of our local garden shed places and ask if they can build variations - see if I can convince them that there is a need up t'north :)

Many thanks once again for all your help and suggestions :D

Steve

You might give HC White & Son at Morpeth, Northumberland a call (01670 513660). I have seen the outside of one of their ROR observatories at Hauxley Nature Reserve, Northumberland (but not the inside). I spoke to them while waiting for my Alexanders. Their prices seem comparable to Alexanders. The downside for me was they refused to deliver to Lancashire so I would have had to collect.

Ron

Malcolm I read your entire thread earlier and was amazed you have done an absolutely outstanding job and only wish I had the skill and knowledge to feel "confident" in undertaking a task like this. Maybe I should do a basic bricklaying course at a college. My skills are more behind a computer and in electronics and I am missing the practical knowhow required for a task like this. If someone stood over me shouting what to do then that would be different :D And many thanks Ron, I will give them a call and see what they have to say. They are considerably closer than Norfolk - I will google them now and see if they have a web presence and if not look up Hauxley and see if there are any piccies.

Thanks again everyone.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the kind words. But up until then I too had never laid a brick in my life. The chap next door laid the 1st two couses and then left me to it. As for the actual build, if you just look on it as making a square frames and simply bolting them together... Its not that difficult. If you do want to purchase a ready made item, then may suggest you take some spec fromthe buids here and get them to quote based on that spec rather than their own. I woud suggest 16" centre studwork, or 24" cernres if using 3" x 2" timber.

Looking forward to seing your build / assembly thread soon

Archived