just got my first scope

What do you mean by 'what to do first'? Have you set it up? Do you want ideas of what to look at first?

Some good objects to start with are planets such as Jupiter and Saturn as they're bright in the sky and relatively easy to locate. Of course when the Moon is out it's always good viewing. DSOs (Deep Sky Objects) such as the Orion Nebula may also be of interest.

I hope you enjoy your 'scope though - the Skyliner is a great one. :D

Once you have done the basic assembly (I'll assume you have) the next job is to get the finder scope aligned with the main scope as accurately as possible. You can do this in daylight using a distant object like a church spire or chimney pot. The object is to get the finder and the main scope at low power (the eyepiece with 25mm) to be looking at exactly the same place.

Once you have the finder aligned it's worth consulting a good sky guide to see whats around to view at this time of year. See this link:

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/

When the clouds part, give that very bright slightly brown/orange object that is high up and to the South a whizz (early evening to the early hours).

If you can see points of light around it you found Jupiter (and its moons). If it just looks like a lovely orange star (it is). That is Aldebaran and what a sight it is as well.

Keep posting. There is lots of advice to be had on this forum and lots of advice on the internet.

Happy observing. . . .

Terry

PS If you need manuals they are here . . . TELESCOPE SUPPLIERS - SKY-WATCHER TELESCOPE

as said you will need to align your finder to the main scope tube o.t.a. first. then allow scope to cool out side to meet equalibriam. you will love it

You won't believe the amount of "palaver" provided for your amusement.

Once you get your scope pointed at the night's sky you will hit the dew issue. Fear not though, there are always solutions. And while you are working it all out you will be enjoying the world of astronomy.

I wish I had a useful book on getting started but I don't. I have books on getting started but they weren't as useful as this forum in reality. There is always someone who will chip in with a solution because they have just been through the same thing.

Has anyone made a list of "useful reading" such as Astro-Baby's stuff at Astro-Baby Astronomy Website

Terry

Archived