CellPhone as push to on dobsonion scope

Hello I have a meade lightbridge and want to use my cell phone skyeye app to guide my scope. I find that even mounting the cellphone on a aluminum (non magnetic) dove tail 6 inches above the scope that the phone still picks up the scope tube and orients the azmuth of the app wrong. I used a small magnet to try to offset the cells direction and it seems to work but does not keep accuracy.

Does anyone have any ideas to fix the bad magnetic field that the metal scope tube gives off? thanks! and happy holidays! john..

Hi John I also tried this Push To application on my iphone, I fixed it to my scope just using large elastic bands,over and under phone to protect the tube, then just rested bottom of phone on tube ring, but did not find it to be very accurate at all. I thought I had found a very cheap alternative to Goto, ha never really used more than once though. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Archived