NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Guided Image - Horsehead and Flame with PHD Guiding

Barry

When I went out last night night I intended to image Jupiter with a webcam but seeing Orion I could not resist having a go with the QHY5 Finder-Guider that I have had for a couple of months but not yet tried. After buying the QHY5 and Finder adapter from Modern Astronomy I sold my kit to upgrade so I am still finding my way around a new SW200P and HEQ5.

So having set up with an extremely shoddy Polar and EQMOD Goto Align I slewed to Alnitak and put the QHY5 guider and a Canon 1000D on. The PHD calibration seemed to take a long time but final said "Guiding". It was then I realised that I should have framed the shot carefully first. Still, this was a tryout for the guiding so I pressed on. I focussed with a Bahtinov Mask in Live View - much easier than expected.

By this time I only had time for a handful of 3 and 5 minute subs with a dark for each.

I'm surprised I got anything but am really pleased with the result. I had to overcook the processing due to lack of data but can put this right next time with more subs.

I would be grateful for constructive criticism- especially how bring out the red of the horsehead nebula. Eg would filters help and what is the optimum length for subs.

Thanks

Barry

post-18522-13387770924_thumb.jpg

Archived