NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TAL-100RS + accessories

I have decided to buy TAL-100RS, for all that good I´ve heard about it, but I have still few questions..

1. What kind of eyepieces do you recommend to use. Are 2" better than 1,25" in lunar/planetary observations?

2. Do I need to buy Stard Diagonal for better views?

3. Where I can find quality Moon Filter?

Thanks again, my fellows.

1. The Tal 100 RS is supplied with two good eyepieces - the 25mm is especially good. I suggest you use those first before buying others.

2. There is no benefit to buying a 2" eyepiece with a focal length less than 25mm(ish). When you are ready, consider a 2" 30mm(ish) eyepiece with a 60-70 degree field of view for low-power, wide-field observing.

3. The Tal 100RS is supplied with a diagonal. Perhaps you are thinking of an imaging-erecting-prism? You don't need one of those unless you intend using the scope as a daytime spotting scope.

4. The Tal is supplied with a Moon filter.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot Steve.

I allready have Super Plösll 10mm and 25mm eyepieces and TAL 2x-barlow.

But is there any quality eyepieces, which are realy good in planetary observation?

Quality eyepieces vs. quality barlow??

Orthoscopics are excellent planetary eyepieces though their eye-relief can be short on the shorter focal lengths which can be a problem if you wear glasses when observing. Otherwise I strongly recommend them - just don't be persuaded that all orthoscopics are equal :police:

I had a 100RS for a couple of years - it's a great scope for the money. I changed the 100RS for the 125R that I now have.

Planetary EP's tend to be short focal length. Most of the recommended planetary EP's also have minimal eye relief. If you wear glasses (as I do) this could be a factor to consider.

For this reason I use the Vixen Lanthanum EP's with the TAL as they have good eye relief of 20mm. These are excellent EP's, but perhaps not the best for planetary use. Orthoscopic EP's seem to be favoured for the planets.

MD

I changed the 100RS for the 125R that I now have.

Could you compare 100RS - 125R together.

Is there any central obstruction in 125R?

Is 125R better value for money, than 100RS.

Shortly 8)

As far as I'm aware, the only difference between the TAL100 and TAL125 is that the TAL100 is a 4" refractor and the 125 is 5". There's no central obstruction on either.

Me again.

1.What are the max (usefull) magnifications of 100RS and 125R?

By the TAl.s webside it seems to be 155x and 176x, but how far it can go?

2.Do you have any planetary images taken by TAL refractor?

3.How TAL refractors manages in double star observation? Can those white giants split stars easily??

Many questions to be answered..

Hard to decide between 100RS and 125R 8)

1: The general rule of thumb for maximum magnification for any scope is the apature in millimetres doubled. Ie: x200 for the TAL100 and x250 for the TAL125.

2: Pass, there might be some on www.telescopes.ru

3: I've got a TAL100 on the way, I'll let you know. Most decent scopes should split a good few doubles.

If I had the money to buy new, I'd go for the TAL125, that extra inch of apature might make the difference between just seeing something, and seeing something well. I'm sure what ever model you choose, you'll be happy.

Tony.

Kahla

The 100RS is definitely the 'loss leader' as far as TAL are concerned. It's a great scope for the price.

The 125R is not as good value as the 100RS, but it's a great scope in its own right. The extra light grab is worth it on deep sky objects.

I haven't tried imaging the planets with the TAL as I know that they would be better imaged with a web cam. My Canon 350D isn't as good on the planets as a webcam such as the Phillips Toucam. Seeing quality has a lot to do with imaging the planets and web cams can beat the seeing by taking hundreds of frames. The laws of chance mean that a fair percentage of the frames will be OK.

I look forward to your first light report on one of the TAL refractors, I doubt you will be disappointed

8)

MD

Kahla,

My TAL100R came Tuesday and luckily enough, I managed to have a quick play with it on Tuesday night. I picked one up cheaply secondhand, it's a little 'used' but can't fault the optics, nice and clear. I didn't have much time but I split Albeiro easily (not hard I know), and both stars looked the right colour to me. I'd recommend!

Tony..

Archived