NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New (to me) Orion Optics SX150 f6 Newtonian - planned mods

Moonshane

I used the GIRO mount in preference to the older supplied mount as this is much more compact and lightweight, yet even sturdier. Also, it works well with no counterweight.

My father in law kindly turned a piece of wood to act as a collar/fixing point for the GIRO and I added a long dovetail bar. This gives me the added benefits of a quick release system.

First light with the scope reveals that all works well although it seems to take a long time to cool so I may eventually redo the cell and incorporate a fan.

It provides nice wide fields, easily fitting the whole of the Pleiades in my 32mm plossl. The moon is 'full frame' with my 12.5mm BGO.

I used the scope for the first time on the sun today - full aperture filter - and the views were surprisingly good! Really excellent detail on the numerous large and small sunspots and even hints of surface structure. Maybe a baader continuum filter is on the cards.......

post-17776-133877712371_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877712376_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived