Advice on telescope

Hi

I have read the article above which is great. I belong to a society and I'm doing an astrophysics degree and because of this I have been spoiled. My first experience with a scope was a Meade LX200 12" on my course and that's now what I want! Unfortunately I don't have that kind of budget. I am interested in doing spectroscopy and other project work as well as observing so could anyone recommend a scope that could be used for this type of thing up to around £350? I know its a long shot but if you never ask you'll never know!

Thanks

Sarah:)

HI Sarah,

For your budget it is worth considering a skywatcher 200p dob, these are c£270, which leaves some budget over for a couple of decent ep's and a sky atlas . As you have not told us what you would like to observe it is difficult to recommend further. Spectroscopy equipment is also expensive, unless you can borrow from your course.

If you are thinking about astrophotography you will need deeper pockets.

Good job you can't get the LX 12" its a big lump to lift, my sct weighs in at nearly 70lb.

Cheers

Hi Sarah

Now I'm no expert but I should imagine that for spectroscopy you need as large an aperture as possible to be able to collect as much data as you can?

If this is the case I would go for the biggest aperture you can afford/manage.

Regards Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Meade LX200 has a lot wrong with it, in fact, and you could do much better! I've been there: don't rush in!!

What exactly do you want to do with your telescope? For spectroscopy you'd need an autoguided tracking mount (I assume, since I don't suppose there's much non-photographic spectropscopy going on?) but for visual observing it is best to put the cash into aperture - a Dobsonian.

Olly

Archived