NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 GoTo/Synscan options

MattGoo

Hello,

I've been interested in astronomy for a while, and purchased a Skywatcher 130P on a EQ2 mount, that came with a RA Axis drive. I've used this setup ok for keeping track of viewable items and it worked well. I also did some basic imaging with a Philips webcam.

I've now bought a 2nd hand Skywatcher 200P on a basic EQ5 mount. I miss the tracking ability, so I've just managed to get some 2nd hand dual axis motors and hand contoller.

I'd be interested in some way to to use the new setup as a GoTo/Synscan type thing which would automatically point the scope at interesting things which I would struggle to find or know where to look.

So, I've read that you can mod the dual-axis hand controller to add a ST4 port to it (which I could do myself). Can I then acquire a Synscan V3 Handset and plug it into the controller?

I think the other options include some kind of USB/Serial gadget to plug into my netbook and use free software to achieve the same thing?

I like the idea of the Synscan handset, since I'd just rather use the netbook for imaging with my webcam.

All advice gratefully received.

Regards, Matt

YOu can mod the handbox to accept a ST-4 guide signal - for guiding only!

To get the GOTO capablilty you need a proper GOTO/ Synscan upgrade - New motors, new motor motherboard etc.

IMHO it would be better to sell and move to the HEQ5 Synscan version - more capacity - better mount.

Just my 0.02 euro

Guiding is when you use a guide telescope and camera mounted on the main scope.

The guide camera picks up on a suitable star, and then some software figures out how to hold the star image stationary in the field of view...to do that it sends signals to the motors on the mount - either slowing them or speeding them up slightly to keep the star in position.

That's all you get....

GOTO is when you can define a position either via a planetarium program or from the built in library of objects in the "smart" handcontroller and send a signal to the motors to move the mount to line up with the new object...this needs the motors/ controller to send a signal back to the handcontroller/ planetarium program to say - "Hi..I've reached the point you asked for! What do I do next" - that's the smart stuff that the Synscan controller and upgraded motors can do....

Hope this helps

Archived