Help choosing a Focal Reducer for C8

Hi Green,

To add my pennies worth, I am also a C8 user and I see you would like to use your 1.25" eyepieces so the FR is the way to go. There are 4 brands that I looked into when I bought mine, Celestrons own, Meade, Antares and Hirsch. I ended up going for the Celestron which is the most expensive out of the lot, however based on reviews and my own opinion having used it, it is a fantastic buy and one that's made my C8 faster to allow for wider FOV.

If you can stretch a few more pounds then go for the Celestron brand.

HTH

It reduces the effective focal ratio of a Schmidt-Cassegrain scope from F/10 to F/6.3. At F/6.3 the effective focal length for an 8" SCT is 1260mm whereas it is 2000mm without the reducer. When I used SCT's (Celestrons) I used the Japanese made Celestron focal reducer for a while to get a wider field of view and lower magnification and it worked pretty well. It's a bit of a fiddle to install and then un-install when you want to go back to the longer focal length as the reducer screws into the scope between the visual back and the rear port of the scope. After a while I upgraded to a 2" diagonal and used 2" eyepieces for low power / wider angle views rather than the focal reducer.

Archived