NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

planetary stacking software?

rocketandroll

So... although I have far from the ideal equipment for it... I thought I might pop out later tonight and have a pop at Jupiter with my new Newt and the DSLR.

First question.is: having only ever used DSS... is there any similar free stacking software for planets?

Also... will I need to manually crop down all the (15 mega pixel) frames before stacking?

Any hints or tips? or am I on a hiding to nothing?

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

So... although I have far from the ideal equipment for it... I thought I might pop out later tonight and have a pop at Jupiter with my new Newt and the DSLR.

First question.is: having only ever used DSS... is there any similar free stacking software for planets?

Also... will I need to manually crop down all the (15 mega pixel) frames before stacking?

Any hints or tips? or am I on a hiding to nothing?

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Registax is definitely the place to start.

What camera are you going to be using? (Webcam or dedicated planetary camera tends to give better results than DSLR in movie mode.)

Wasn't sure if registax was free or not...

I only have a DSLR... so I was gonna use that. Dunno if it has a movie mode so was literally gonna shoot 100 - 200 stills at full resolution. No idea if I'd get anything of any use.... but thought it worth a stab.

Ben

Yes it's free :) Definately worth a stab, if you are aiming at Jupiter remember you've got about 3 or 4 minutes absolute max to get all your subs before planet rotation will result in blurry stacked images.

...what's the best bet with the moon? Single frame? Or would it benefit from, or be possible to, stack moon images in registax?

Ben

Moon benefits from stacking just as well, it's even easier though as there's no rotation to worry about! :)

Archived