Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hyperion with MPCC

SplintUK

This week I took delivery of my first Baader Hyperion, a 17mm, and managed to take some shots of M42 (what else) through it using my Pentax K-x on my SW explorer 200PDS on HEQ5. Great, but of course once you get inside and on your computer you see hideous Coma what with it being an f5 Newtonian and all.

But I happen to have chosen a Baader MPCC Coma corrector when I bought the scope, with the extra spacer rings (the VIP MPCC kit they call it). I thought to myself, I wonder if they make the Hyperions and MPCC work together... well they use the same spacer rings, so I know if I take the 1.25" elements off the front, it will knock it down to effectively 21mm (instead of 17mm), but I can put the spacers between the MPCC and the main body of the hyperion to get the 55mm gap you need between where I guess the fieldstop is on the read hyperion lens group and the MPCC. If you're still with me you probably own a hyperion yourself, and you're still doing well...

So I tried a couple of shots of a distant tree in the twilight, and it seems like it might just work... more to follow when the clouds depart and I get to try it for real.

Has anyone else tried the combination of a hyperion with an MPCC to save me trial and error with spacings etc?

Archived