Dslr and startravel 150 assistance needed :)

Hi

I tried attaching the dslr (nikon d3100) to the scope tonight (startravel 150) via a t rin and the supplied adapter with the scope.

Seems to attach well enough but will not focus sharply, at full extension the focus is just out.

One thing I have noticed is the camera does not know what lens is attached and so does not adjust the f stop, even manually using the camera I cannot set it. I can get some detail using the rit iso / shutter speed and have an understanding of manual slr photography but this has me stumped. I have attached it via the diagonal and direct to the focuser :)

Can anyone offer any advice ?

The scope has fixed aperture and f ratio. You can alter the aperture and f ratio with a camera lens but not a telescope, unless you attach a reducer lens or barlow to the scope.

So your st150 is fixed at f5 and focal length 750.

Thanks, I'm adjusting manually for shutter speed but not f stop which should be f5? Cant figure out how to set the aperture usibg a scope but can with a lens so it makes sense. It does seem like the focuser runs out of travel when focusing on the moon.

I have a 2" x2 barlow on the way so fitting this and the camera direct should work ?

Archived