Is it worth while?

Are the front lenses in a star travel scope good enough to make it worth fitting it with a baader hyperion zoom+barlow EP.Also would I have to fit a better quality erecting lense than the one supplied with the scope.The queer one is buying me the scope as a xmas present god bless her so I could buy myself the EP.Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't worry about accessories until you have tried out what comes with the telescope. Which Startravel scope will you be getting? My fear is that the Baader Zoom may be a bit heavy going for such a modest telescope and may be completely the wrong purchase. a decent Barlow is always a good purchase, I suggest the 2x TAL, often recommended here, and possibly a Moon filter, liked by some and not others, suggest an ND96 (0.09).

I wouldn't bother with the erecting eyepiece. They are not for astronomy so buying a better one isn't really an option.

Concerning the hyperion zoom it may not be worth getting it for that scope but, it may be worthwhile getting as you could use it on another scope in the future. The performance of the Hyperon will mean that the objective of the ST is the "weak" point. Something has to be, and a good eyepiece does no harm.

The ST will give some CA, post elsewhere about this when someone went imaging. Also I would expect some SA present as well.

The ST is an f/5 and also an achro, so if you go for the "smaller" zoom option it may be too much for the scope. Effectively you may not get the use from it that you would like. Best to use the scope for wide field views and lower magnifications.

I should have mentioned that the zoom lense and erect image prism would be for terrestrial use not for astronomy.The reason that I chose the star travel was because it is a dual purpose scope.I am hoping it will help me to understand which refractor scope I need for to obtain for astronomy.Last but not least thanks for the help.

Archived