Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1805 Heart Nebula

dmahon

Unfortunately my scope / CCD combination (SXVF-H9 + ED80) doesn't give quite a wide enough field of view - so this is the centre of the heart nebula. Maybe next year (or father Christmas) will bring me a new CCD (and/or an FSQ-106)

HaHaSIIOIII (10 minute subs, x not enough, as usual).

Very little SII and OIII data, again - I am starting to think that my filters are broken!

post-17510-1338776992_thumb.jpg

Well, this is almost exactly how it looks in CCDCalc (albeit the image they use is landscape). You've got some nice detail and contrast in there, but have you tried mapping it Ha(L), SII®, Ha(G) and OIII(:rolleyes:? It might come out fairly green to start with, but you can then use selective colour to tone that down and tweak it into HST pallette... (I have some default instructions somewhere, but I haven't had the chance to use them yet!)

I have no idea what's deemed enough as it seems that some NB images use relatively small exposure lengths with lots of frames whereas others use a limited number of 30min exposures... I've seen a version of this recently which had a total of 8x30min subs - 4xHa, 2xOIII and 2xSII, but the OIII and SII were binned 2x2... It looked terrific, but I've never felt luck enough to go for subs that long!

PS - Thanks for posting this - I think I may have overestimated the number of panes needed with SII/OIII to cover my Ha... I may only need 2 each :icon_confused:

Archived