Zenith Objects with Skywatcher Dob

Have undertaken a few hours observing tonight, located M31 (sure I found it this time, Jupiter, M42, seven sisters etc). However, I was looking for the clusters in Cass. and had a frustrating time getting under the finder scope to look at my target. Is it best to wait a few hours until my target drops in the sky? I'm just getting used to the scope so I'm going through objects to find more.

Steve

One problem with dobsonians is zenith viewing mainly because the alt-az movements are difficult and finder use. I wouldn't personally want to use a diagonal for the finder because the image is reversed in one axis and correct with the other and it's just too confusing for me. Getting a good grip on the tube is essential for positioning but nudging to keep up with an objects movement at high power is a near impossibility. To look on the positive side it's good excercise for the neck muscles as long as you don't overdo it.

To look on the positive side it's good excercise for the neck muscles as long as you don't overdo it.

I remember feeling like Stretch Armstrong when I first started but soon got used to it. I have to sit down and give my back and neck a break during obs.

I had to find NGC 457 for my girlfriend tonight and I nearly twisted my body inside out trying to look through my red dot finder straight up on my scope to find it...

Great night viewing though it has to be said... I saw NGC 884/869 which blew my mind! and possibly the best views of Jupiter I have seen through my scope using a 6mm eps... must be down to my annual primary mirror cleaning, long cooling time and collimation prior to use. I need to retire I want to stay up all night! :icon_confused:

Archived