NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

J2000 setting

dmahon

I run a few bits of software, including:

CdC

EQMOD

Elbrus

(plus ASCOM and imaging stuff)

They are all set with the corrct GPS data and time.

I was considering trying Alignmaster as well and it mentioned something that I had not considered before.

There is one option in my software that I am not sure of, and that is with regard to J2000/JNow?

Have I got it all setup right with the following:

CdC (Setup, Chart coordinates - Apparent selected)

Elbrus (Coordinates - J2000 epoch unticked)

EQMOD (Don't know if it has a setting option)

EQMOD just goes wherever the client applicaitons tell it to. All that really matters is that all the clients are doing the same thing. For instance if alignment is done using a planetarium issuing slews to J2000 coords that isn't a problem as the alignment model will then effectively provide the precession corrections to JNOW. However if you then use a another client that operates in JNOW then slews will be slightly off.

As both your CDC and Elbrus are slewing and syncing using JNOW you should be fine. I don't know if Alignmaster precesses its slew data to JNOW but it may not matter as any J2000/JNOW errors would be present on both stars in the pair and so may well cancel out when it comes to calculating the correction (probably best to check though).

Chris

Archived