NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

pleeez 'elp me with my M45 processing!

cloudbuster

Hi All.:icon_confused:

went out imaging for only the 2nd time with my synguider the other night....didnt get on too well at all. dew control drained the batteries plus other probs:mad::rolleyes::mad:. therefore only 8 five minute subs of 800asa, plus same in darks. no bias etc. have little or no experience in PI, and when i try to stretch the histogram, the image goes milky:iamwithstupid:....so here's the unprocessed jpeg in the hope that one of u kind guys or gals can help!

cheers

bob:)

post-16166-133877698553_thumb.jpg

In PI I would use Histogram Transformation. Shift the mid point to the left and it will indeed go milky. But then you shift the black point slider to the right, noting not to clip too many pixels (clipping is shown) and this should remove the milkiness.

Olly

Hi Bob,

As prokyon says, it is difficult to do with the jpg, but here goes.

As an example of what not to do and to stretch the histogram WAY beyond sanity heres my attempt of getting something extra out of the image. It remain to be seen if the artifacts shown are real or just amplified background noise from the original.

Cheers John

post-24829-133877698577_thumb.jpg

For a demo of Histogram Transformation you could check out Harry Page's tutorials linked from the PI website and/or another by Rogelio Bernal Andreo on his Deep Sky Colors website.

I no longer stretch in Photoshop. Histogram Transformation, once I got used to it, gets more out of the image and provides fine clipping info.

Glad you liked M42. Thanks.

Olly

Archived