Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ABC Webshop

BinocularSky

ABC Webshop is a German retailer of outdoor sporting goods, including binoculars.

I had been unable to locate a Helios Apollo 15x70 with any UK retailer, so I started searching abroad. I emailed ABC Webshop on 22 Nov to ask if they had it in stock, and the proprietor, Johannes Schreiber, replied in the affirmative later that day. I then discovered that ABC Webshop does not take credit cards; I would need to do a bank transfer in Euros (for which my bank would charge a commission) or use a payment system I wasn't confident about -- nothing about the system itself, only that the instructions are in German and my German is minimal. Furthermore, I wanted the protection that you get when using a credit card as this was an expensive (£300-ish) purchase from an unknown supplier.

On the off-chance, I checked with eBay.de and amazon.de to see if ABC Webshop used either, and found that they also sell through Amazon marketplace. I placed the order through amazon.de on the evening of the 22nd. The resulting blurb said that I should receive it somewhere between the 3rd and 24th December.

The binocular arrived by courier, very well packaged, on the afternoon of 25th November. I consider this to be excellent service. The binocular itself is superb -- I have just come in from several very enjoyable hours under the stars. Thank you, ABC Webshop.

Archived