ISS ??

Hi,

After aligning the scope and checking alignment on a couple of easy objects including jupiter all of which were slightly low in the field of view I thought I'd select Uranus. Just as I looked through the scope a bright streak went across the FOV. Looked on some ISS tracker websites and it seems that it could have been visible in the south last night. Anyone agree ?

G.

Hi. It is easy to check for the ISS location. using heavens-above for example. If it was the ISS it should be extremely bright. ISS magnitude is often more than -2, so looking at it through a scope should resemble Jupiter or Sirius. There are dozens of smaller satellites and it can also e a meteor and things which their magnitude is up to 10. Try to think what the brightness of the object was

Gadi.

Hi,

It was bright in the scope but didn't catch sight of it with the naked eye. Just got the satellite plugin running on stellarium and it looks like it was more likely to be SL-16 rb. It must have been about 19-50 and thats the only one listed that flies through the area around Uranus.

G.

G.

Archived