NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

planetarium S/W for Mac / EQ6 mount

buzz

I'm looking for some advice from other Mac/EQ6 users on a reliable planetarium software solution.

I am trying to settle on some Mac S/W to control my NEQ6 mount. Stellarium and EQmac work but Stellarium consumes quite a bit of power from the laptop. I also bought Equinox Pro but to date, although I like the clean interface, it is not proving reliable in goto's / sync and can send the scope searching for worms too frequently for my liking - and that is after using all the recommended RS232/USB interfaces and spending many hours in the warm and dry trying to figure out if it is me.

Although I am in dialog with micropojects to try and identify the cause of these issues, this may take some time to fix.

In the meantime is there any other S/W out there (free or otherwise) that users have had good reliable NEQ6 / Mac scope control with? I took a look at CDC - but I do not think it offers Nextstar GPS control on the Mac version.

I know I can revert to PC/Bootcamp - but right now, that is my fallback option.

Any thoughts, whilst the fog rolls in again tonight?

Hi Michael - I checked the website for the features and noticed the other platforms it supports. I have an iPad - it might make more sense to use it for the control of the scope - physically by the scope and leave the laptop in the car, doing the imaging and guiding. I'm guiding through the ST4 port, so don't need a pass through with pulse guiding .... Does skysafari rely on the mount and Synscan to do the alignment, or does it have a polar / alignment routine embedded, as does Equinox Pro. (I recall the reason I first went for Equinox Pro was that it also offered alignment routines and remote focus control - but I don't know if I will ever need them).

I would be interested to know your thoughts on what works well and not so well and what features you miss - (In the meantime I will try and download a manual and work through it - it seems to be on-line only)

many thanks

I have only used it twice so far in anger as my daughter only donated her old iphone in the last couple of weeks. Sky safari relies on the synscan handset to do the aligning (could be totally wrong there of course) That does not bother me. You could use something like this though

Alignmaster von Matthias Garzarolli

I use the skywire that plugs into the synscan handset via the cable used to update the firmware. I am seriously considering getting the skyfi as the reason behind this was to go wireless.

the beauty is that you have the best of both worlds as the handset is still connected so if the iphone dies you can still continue viewing.

I am still learning but like the versatility. strange that I could not find an NGC list as that is what I was hunting last night. again that is probably because I do not fully know my way around it yet.

I would also invest in something like this

TeckNet iEP190 1700mAH iPod Mobile External Battery For All iPhone/iPod - 2011 Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

just to ensure you have enough power for a long session

If you need to know anything else do not hesitate to ask. It is our Astro Societies AGM tonight so it will be later when I am able to reply

Cheers Mike - I think I'm heading for the portable solution - it makes more sense - otherwise I have to lug the mac around. I downloaded the plus version for the iPad and have posted a few other messages trying to find out if there are other options apart from skyfi. I already owned Astromist for the ipad - which teams up with Aircable - the program seems incredibly detailed but quite fiddly to use, with very small icons and for that reason I had sort of discounted in my mind. It would be great to compare them side by side without having to buy two wifi to serial adaptors. When I'm done, it seems a good idea to do a review.

Cheers Mike - I think I'm heading for the portable solution - it makes more sense - otherwise I have to lug the mac around. I downloaded the plus version for the iPad and have posted a few other messages trying to find out if there are other options apart from skyfi. I already owned Astromist for the ipad - which teams up with Aircable - the program seems incredibly detailed but quite fiddly to use, with very small icons and for that reason I had sort of discounted in my mind. It would be great to compare them side by side without having to buy two wifi to serial adaptors. When I'm done, it seems a good idea to do a review.

Good luck and a review sounds good

Archived