2 inch up-grade

I use a 4inch rich field short tube refractor with a 1.25 diagonal. Would I notice much differnece if I up-graded to a 2 inch set up. Also keeping in mind the short tube set up would I be right in thinking that I might realistically only require a wide field 25-26mm eyepiece with this scope since high mags being out of this scopes remit?

2" eyepieces can provide a much larger field of view than 1.25" ones and that's their main advantage and the difference you would notice. As deep sky objects come in all shapes and sizes having a medium power eyepiece (which could be a 1.25") would be useful too.

There is a downside though in that low cost wide angle eyepieces will show distorted stars in the outer parts of the field of view in fast scopes. This bothers some people more than others though.

Archived