NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Strathspey 15x70 focussing problem

Has any had a problem with infocus on Strathspey 15x70 binoculars.

I can barely get focus on these binos.

I am long sighted but own several pairs of binoculars inc Zeiss 8x20

Zeiss 10x50 and I use them without my glasses with no problems at all. The strathspeys barely reach focus at infinity unless I wear my glasses which I prefer not to do.

Boib

The bottom line: If it doesn't suit you, send it back.

Not a problem I have -- I have hypermetropia and the Strathspey 15x70 is close to, but not at, the end of its focal range. It's also not a problem I've heard of with this binocular (but, having said that, we'll probably now find a hundred cases of it coming out of the woodwork). It may be that yours is a one-off (lousy QC) or it may be that you are more hypermetropic than I. If it is a design feature, not a one-off, then you will likely find that all the Kunming Optical ones (Celestron, Revelation, Oberwerk, Barksa, Garrett, etc) are the same.

Interestingly (to me, at least) the Helios Stellar has exactly the opposite problem: If you are more than mildly myopic, you can't reach focus.

Helios Stellar do a 15x70; I used to own one until about 10 years ago. It may be that they have since improved (the price has gone up a lot), but the eye relief was less than 10mm, it was impossible to see the entire FoV without pushing the binocular almost painfully into my eye sockets (similar for me with the Strathspey with the eyecups up), it had better on-axis but worse off-axis performance than the Strathspey. The Helios build-quality was a bit better, mostly due to being B&L (aka "American"), as opposed to Zeiss (aka "European"), configuration, I think).

I don't think there's a lot of difference between them.

There's one going on eBay at the moment.

Archived