Am i missing something here ?

5AM

Ok First off, i have no affiliation with this person or advert. i am not trying to draw attention to the sale of a scope,

Right, just having a general astro based browse over eBay and stumbled across this...dumfounded by the price i thought maybe you lot could shine some light on why it is this much money, or are they having a bit of a joke ??

P.S unsure where to post this, and again i have nothing to do with this ad!!

EDIT: I've removed the Ebay link Sam. Links to the Bay are not permitted in the Sales section, let alone in this one.

I do understand you were only drawing attention to a suspicious Ad.

It looks like another dubious dealer to me - the terms used in the advert indicate someone who knows nothing about astronomy - the picture doesn't suggest anything to indicate a scope worth more than circa £200 - it's only on a basic eq mount - and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - looks like a rip off imho. :D

You can get much better - proper scopes for that price for sure.

Thats exactly what i thought, i just did a little research and its the only one i can find is the ebay link, Plus the ISI or whatever they call it i cant find a site let alone any mention on wikipedia....

Thanks for clearing the issue up!!

That is one to be avoided.

A 114mm reflector for £500++ ?

The mirror could be spherical as well at f/8.7.

What use are 80 magazines, which the seller says explain the construction and I presume setup and use. Does it take 80 magazines?

Unfortunately someone will buy it.

You are doing the right thing researching stuff like that - but its better to stick with proper scope retailers like FLO and well known brands like Celestron, Skywatcher, Meade, etc.

The "bay" and high street shops can't be trusted if you're new to astronomy - they just want to sell you stuff without regard to wether it's appropriate or even a proper instrument. :D

EDIT: I've removed the Ebay link Sam. Links to the Bay are not permitted in the Sales section, let alone in this one.

I do understand you were only drawing attention to a suspicious Ad.

Hmmm....

Anyone (myself included) happening upon this thread after the above, won't have a clue what it's all about. So perhaps this thread had better go.

Archived