NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best DSLR to get started taking pics

I'm interested in trying my hand at astrophotography and so was wondering what would be a good reaonably priced DSLR to get started with. I would rather go down the DSLR route over CCD because I'd like to take terrestrial photo's too

:D

Hi Crazy (nice kitty),

Anything in the Canon EOS range is best (less amp glow, better third party support, proven track record).

Live View is a benefit.

Choose then in this order..

350D, 450D, 1000D, 500/550D, 600D, 5D MkII....

All the best,

Mike

Sent from my mobile using TapaTalk (so please excuse bad grammar & spelling!) :-)

Cheers Carl, I forgot the 1100D... Put that in the list above between 1000D and 500D.

For daytime use the 450D should be better than the 1000D, but the 1000D is lighter so puts less strain on your focuser.

Sent from my mobile using TapaTalk (so please excuse bad grammar & spelling!) :-)

Cheers guys

I'd heard that Canon were best for us astropeople and all seem in agreement here so it looks like that's the way to go. It'll depend on budget but I would hope to aim for the 550D/600D (I believe they're the essentially the same camera but the 600D has a variable angle screen which may be useful)

Knowing how impatient I can get though a may well end up with the 1000D/1100D as they're a couple of hundred quid cheaper :eek:

(The Kitty is called Dee Dee and she's the daftest of all our cats) :D

Another thumbs up for APT. It's excellent software and since leaving it for CCD control software like EZCAP and Nebulosity 2, I find myself wishing for the days of DSLR + APT again. The APT software really is a perfect astro companion for a Canon DSLR and it's good value for money.

Have you heard of camera modification? (Removing an internal filter to make the camera more sensitive to Ha/emission nebulae). If so, then you probably don't want to modify a 550D/600D, but modifying a 1000D isn't so much of a problem. A modded 1000D typically goes for about £300 and would be a better astro camera than a 550D or 600D.

However the 550D/600D have a crop zoom video mode (essentially turning them into very expensive portable webcams) so are excellent for solar system imaging and they are tremendous daytime cameras.

If you're just getting one for both astro and day, I'd go for the 600D if you can but the 550D otherwise. Both excellent cameras and the flippy screen may be useful but you'll want to control it with APT pretty soon so don't need a flip screen anyway.

The 1000D or 450D as modified may be a better bet for astro use though and cheaper, too.

All the best,

Mike

Archived