Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First moon avi/stack pointers.

I had a reasonable alignment last night so I thought I'd try a shot at the moon but I had no idea what settings to use so I just used the ones below using sharpcap, if anyone knows which ones I should change let me know and I'll try that next. I'm also willing to bet my focus is out too as always but I can work on that.

I'm happy that I got what I did as I was imagining a complete disaster.

Also I still had my IR/UV blocking filter on, do I need that?

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]

Brightness=52

Contrast=50

Saturation=0

Gamma=12

ColorEnable=255

BacklightCompensation=255

Gain=27

Exposure=-9

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=15.00

Colour Space / Compression=I420

The other thing is I don't know what the normal amount of frames would be to stack, I had 2mins33sec of avi and after running them through registax at 90% limit there was just 461(first pic below) frames and at 70% it was 2234(second pic below) frames. I didn't change anything in wavelets or PP and just left the pics as they where after stacking.

Any advice on what sort of processing needs to be done would be appreciated as well.

So yeah, any pointers would be great :D

Thanks for looking.

Jarrod.

post-21042-133877691695_thumb.png

post-21042-133877691712_thumb.png

I would keep to 90% in Registax whenever possible (maybe 85% sometimes). You will be quite lucky to use more than 50% of your total frames unless the seeing is really good. As long as you have more than, say, 400 frames stacked you should be OK.

Once stacked then use wavelets - there are six sliders - don't be afraid to have a good play with them! The top two will do most of the work for you - try around half way with each of them and quite a bit less with the other four (maybe nothing with 5 & 6). Lastly click "do all" and then save your image. There are no rules and every image is different!

If you have several images (eg for a mosaic) then "save scheme" as soon as you have done the first images wavelets - just after you click on "do all". For the second and subsequent images simply "load scheme" and "do all" and you will get the same wavelet treatment for all your images of that batch.

As for the camera settings I prefer gamma set to zero and a bit more gain to compensate (around 40-50) and a frame rate of 10fps (the SPC900 won't do 15fps).

Thanks for the reply, I guess the seeing was rough last night if 90% stacked only 461 out of 2300ish but that is out of my hands.

The thing with wavelets and I'm getting this on some Jupiter pics from last night too and I just tried on the Moon pics when I apply them it makes the picture pixelated, maybe I am going too far with them but any less and the wavelets don't have much effect.

So I should keep the settings similar to say Jupiter, no gamma and a higher gain. That is easy enough to fix.

I didn't know the SPC wouldn't do 15fps either so that's good to know too.

Would I be better off without the IR/UV filter? It was already because I was having a go a Jupiter and forgot to take it off.

Archived