Into the night sky second time around.

Hi all,

This is my first post....you may get a bit bored with these sort but any help appreciated.

My story: Got a starter-scope approx 7 years ago due to my general interest (Celestron 114 Short) and used for about a year before moving to a flat which cut down my opportunity to use fully (previously it was pointed straight out of a a skylight). This and other factors meant only a small number of outings. However the situation has changed and then last month I dusted it down and found jupiter which me and my dad had been watching for a few days. Was blown away with the clarity (stayed up ages just open mouthed) and decided I had left it too long and wanted to...well see more really. I decided to do the following -

a) recollimate the scope - i've seen threads on here how to do and will be doing so once the cheshire arrives, its not terrible but the activity would be a good skill to learn and i guess it will help with gaining clarity during use?

:) join a forum that could help

c) Invest in some better eyepieces to help with planetary viewing and then on to greater distances objects

So my questions are:

a) How 'collimated' should it be to get best views (silly question maybe)

:) Which eyepieces should i invest in and why (i.e what is useful for what activity) should i for example replace kellners with plossl or include them in my range? (or are they worth using at all?)

c) What books should i read

P.S my present EP's include a Kellner 10 & 20 (came with scope)and a celestron x2 barlow

Any help appreciated, I have looked through the site for help but it might get me started to have a specific answer regards my scope and level of knowledge. Can't stop thinking about my best views of jupiter and now hooked!

I think that scope has a moderate focal length, so the Kellners should give decent views, if a little narrow. Kellners are decent for planetary viewing where you don't need a wide FOV. Perhaps look at a Plossl with a longer focal length for some low-magnification wide-angle views.

Thanks for reply, very helpful. I was looking at maybe complimenting my EP's with 32mm & 5mm GSO plossl. Thought this might give me some 'spectrum' generally (the 5mm in particular wouldn't i think push the magnification limits of the scope...as far as i have worked it out, and yes i understand i would be duplicating a magnification already possessed). Would this suffice or am i am being optimistic in hoping for even better views of jupiter. FYI I saw the bands and briefly i think the spot on my first settup (that was with a 10k in) but with the barlow i struggled to get any detail. I also think collimation may have been an issue but frankly I was so impressed with what i saw i felt i owed it to myself to strive for something better. It basically addictive yes!

Will seek out that book also.

Thanks for reply, very helpful. I was looking at maybe complimenting my EP's with 32mm & 5mm GSO plossl. Thought this might give me some 'spectrum' generally (the 5mm in particular wouldn't i think push the magnification limits of the scope...as far as i have worked it out, and yes i understand i would be duplicating a magnification already possessed).

A 32mm Plossl is a good addition, I'd say. You'll be able to get low magnification, wide field views for extended objects - a good choice to add.

A 5mm Plossl has two issues; one, as you state, is that it effectively is the same as the barlowed 10mm. The other is that I find that the eye-relief on such short f/l Plossls to be uncomfortably close. A different option might be one of the TMB or Zhumell planetary eyepieces, and I'd suggest something around 6mm or 7mm. (I think those can be found in the U.K.; I'm over in the States.) That will give you a somewhat different magnification and still increase what detail you can see without doubling a current eyepiece. And the eye relief is much better.

I don't know exactly which scope you are referring to, but it sounds like one of the "short tube" reflectors that uses a fast mirror and a corrector lens to effectively increase focal length to around 1000mm, yes? If so, the Kellners are probably fine, and a 6mm eyepiece will net you 167x, which is well within what this scope can handle for magnification on good nights of seeing.

Yep. Another vote for TLAO.

Gives seasonal info and good object location guidance, which helps the constellations stick in the grey matter !

The rating system also helps you decide on the best 'effort vs result' objects for limited viewing sessions.

Lee

Thanks all for help. I am going to collimate in next few days, i think it may help overall and be a task learnt so to speak - have been digesting the info on this and will follow instructions - and I will add some 'range' to my EP's.

Cheers again.

Archived