Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IR/UV filter type

mindburner

after getting the SCB-4000 today and getting it connect to my laptop through easycap ok. I was looking into the possibility of removing the internal IR filter for DSO and replacing it with a c mounted one of these First Light Optics - Baader UV/IR Cut Filter

Only after I have got more used to the camera and maybe tried planetary and lunar 1st

I already have a Baader neodymium moon & Skyglow filter which is over a year old. I was unsure if this would suffice or do I need a new filter?

First Light Optics might be able to tell you at what point Baader started incorporating IR/UV cut into the Moon & SkyGlow filter. It's not clear in the literature how "new" this feature is! :)

Like yourself, I've been reluctant to rip the camera apart until I'm convinced the IR removal is worth the surgery. I'd read a comment from someone saying that even in night mode - where the filter is replaced with plain glass - that glass added such reflections as to make the camera almost "unusable".

Well - I'd have to disagree with that statement so far - I've had no such problems with reflections, so I'm a bit skeptical that it's a requirement to pull out the filter slide - especially since it will throw off the colour balance and I may still have some occasional daylight applications for this camera in mind...

I tried to get some information on different revisions of baader filters but very little info seems to exist. I may just get the dedicated IR/UV filter if I decide to remove the internal

yes until I get to grips with the camera body a little more I think I will hold fire on the removal. Also judging from the online youtube video of a chap removing the filter, It does not seem exactly hard, but reinstallation may be more difficult if the camera proves not to function that well.

I was setting up the camera last night with easycap USB jobbie on the laptop,using Sharpcap to view video output. I could see what looked like a bright light reflection when the camera body cap was on. I was not sure what mode the camera was in at the time,may night mode as it may auto sense this? not sure. I ordered the camera from buythis and like yourself didn't get a lens with the body, therefore I had little to play with other than full black/white images.

many thanks

I was not sure what mode the camera was in at the time,may night mode as it may auto sense this?

Yes - by default.

If you want to manually set Day/Night to "fix" the setting in place, you can do this - but it's tucked away a bit on the second page downwards of the camera settings options.

Incidentally (and you've probably already noticed this) you can tell when it flips from one mode to the other because you can witness the motorised filter-slide as it sweeps across the screen.

I found this so cool I find the thought of ripping it out unbearable! :)

thanks for the reply. I didn't realise about the lock mode, I will check it out after work. Just noticed a comment on another forum regarding this camera and the IR filter. The chap is the same guy that has the YouTube video on how to remove the filter(the video is a bit brutal to such nice internal engineering). He says:

"Summary: This camera has turned out to be better than I expected.

The in-camera IR filter doesn't seem to dull images compared to no filter, and does it's job of tidying up the stars.

The 1/2" Sony chip is so sensitive that Nebulae was blowing out too bright at 5 seconds integration. Results were better at 2.5 seconds. So the full 10.25 seconds should reveal those extremely faint objects. "

Now granted he's in Australia with pitch black skies, rather than orange sky Blighty, but still. I am starting to think that this internal filter should be left alone for now, especially for planets/lunar and brighter DSO's. Basically it's not an absolute MUST DO. Filters rippers - exercise caution:)

Maybe for pure DSO observing once a good IR nose filter has been purchased and the camera mastered, I would consider the mod. Of course I could be taking out my hat as I have not even attached this cam to the scope yet:) Just hope the cam will come to focus on the stock skywatcher focuser

Archived