Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need a recommendation:)

Hi SGL,

I have been looking at an SCT lately, I already own a newtonian which serves well for widefield imaging, but I wanted something with a little more power. I already own a webcam for planetary imaging, but I know I will want to experiment with the DSLR. The F-Ratio is around 10, so I will need a focal reducer. I was looking at a Celestron 9.25. If I were to connect a DSLR, what would you recommend I use in terms of a focal reducer and a t-adapter (already have a t-ring)? I know the inherent issues SCTs cause with imaging, but I want to make sure I could even reach focus on one of these. Thanks again:icon_salut:

Reaching focus with an SCT is rarely an issue. They have tons of focal range.

You say you 'want a little more power.' What do you call power, focal length or F ratio? In DS imaging you are going to get an awful lot of focal length, even with a focal reducer. As long as you know that this takes you well out of the comfort zone, so to speak, then attaboy!

Olly

That is what scares me Olly, I want the POWER (focal length) for those little galaxies, but I know the pain it will cause me to guide as such a high focal length. I understand the F-Ratio issue with SCTs and the need for a reducer, and at first I was looking at an 8" newt at F5 1000mm, but that extra 500mm with the SCT bring pretty pictures of Saturn and Jupiter to my mind (its also a big jump from the 750mm Im working at now). Im at a point where I dont know where to go next. I am in no rush, I actually have to move in the next few weeks, but its something that is still in the back of my mind.

Archived