Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice please: combatting light pollution DSLR v CCD

Herrman

Hi,

I've recently managed to get my autoguider working smoothly, and have been having great fun imaging with a modded Canon 40d. I'm pretty pleased with the initial results, although there is great scope for improvement. I think the limiting factor in getting better images will be light pollution. I live to the sw of London, in an area smothered with street and residential lighting, using an Astronomik CCD CLS filter helps, but increases exposure times and results in an un-natural background sky colour.

My question is; would a purpose-made astro CCD camera be more effective at dealing with light pollution? I'm thinking of a mono camera using LRGB filters rather than narrow-band (at least to start with). If so, what would be a good camera to consider investing in? I realise that the sky's the limit with these things (forgive the pun!), but say with a budget of £1500 would something from the Atik range, e.g. 314L, 450L, 383L be worth considering (these cameras seem to get very favourable reviews here and elsewhere)? I'm a bit of a jack of all trades when it comes to DS imaging, so I'd be looking for a camera with a chip to suit a range of different objects.

I realise that filters will be required- is a motorised wheel essential, or will a manual one do?

The camera would be used with EQ 80 & 120, and MN190.

Many thanks for reading this, any thoughts and advice you can offer will be gratefully received.

All the best, Herrman

Hi,

I use a number of Atik CCDs from a very dark site and rate them most highly. I think CCD (and mono above all) will trounce DSLR if you have LP to deal with. I wouldn't postpone narrowband till further down the line. You can get the impression that it's difficult but it is probably easier than natural colour where you are either right or you're not. Certainly, if you are trying to obtain natural colour in LP then narrowband will be easier. It really does cut through the LP.

I have electric and manual filterwheels and consider the electric one a damned nuisance. There have been lots of threads on here concerning electric ones mucking up flats by not going to the right place, taking forever to sort out on the software side, having USB issues etc. etc. I like my manual and use it in preference every time. No image of mine in the last two years has been done with the electric wheel.

Choice of camera? Well, I'd start with Atik and leave it there, because I don't want to upset anyone, but mine work very hard in a professional life and have been extremely reliable. They are running around 200 nights per year. 314L or 8300? Very difficult. The Sony 285 chip is the dream chip, sensitive and incredibly low in noise. But big it ain't. You can always try binning colour on the 8300 with its small pixels. Personally I use a couple of 4000s and really love them, but they are expensive compared to the 8300 and have a smaller chip. But, as I say, I'm happy.

There will be quite different points of view offered, I don't doubt, but that's my bit said!

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Hi Olly,

Many thanks for you informative reply. Running cameras for 200 nights a year- sob sob- I'd settle for 20 here in cloud-cloaked Surrey!

Your response contained just the sort of useful information I was hoping for- really pleased to hear that you favour a manual wheel; this will help to keep the overall cost down. Also good to learn of your experience with the Atiks- I'd got the impression from the forum that they are reliable and reliable; you don't see too many cries for help for them. It really comes down to which one to opt for; the 4000 sounds ideal, but it's a bit out of my price range at present, so I think I'll give serious thought to the 383L. I've always been impressed by the narrowband images that are posted, so in view of your comments I'll give this some more thought.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply- it's great to hear of people's first-hand experience.

All the best, Herrman

Archived