Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 from a light-polluted city (disappointment so far)

While my Dob offers a mind-blowing detail of the Moon's terminator and Jupiter's bands, I could barely see M31, and no wings/detail whatsoever.

Just wondering what sort of equipment and viewing conditions one requires to see more than the binoculars typically show...

Thanks.

Unfortunately from London, M31 won't be much more than an oval fuzz. What might help is moving to a slightly darker site that's nearby. One of the best views through the scope I had recently was in Richmond Park with my 102mm refractor - a brighter and larger M31 plus I could see it's companions M32 and M110 very easily. The big factor in getting a good view from London is how much moisture there is in the air. Once we get to those cold crisp winter nights then there is less water vapour to scatter the light pollution and you should get a noticeably better view.

Even in a good size scope, M31 is visually a bit of a disappointment. In a 16" from a dark site it's still a fuzzy smudge with a couple of dark streaks through it. M51 is also one that promises more than it delivers though that does reward aperture and dark skies.

M81 and M82 offer a much more satisfying visual. The Leo triplet are also a treat in the spring.

Archived