Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at a Jupiter sketch

jdg600

Genius! love it... :) It's amazing I did a few little crazy sketches in my note book when I first started and I was looking at them the other night when I realised that I has seen Titan when viewing Saturn one night... (I had forgot so note taking and sketches are essential)

Thankyou both for your kind words and encouragement. David, I did go out tonight and did indeed see the GRS for the first time:hello2:. Did a rough sketch at the eyepiece which I will redraw tomorrow and post.

John

Hi david,

To tell the truth I can't really remember wether the poles looked darker or not. I think I was just knocked out to be able to see the GRS.

I was only using a power of 80x to make the sketch. I did have a quick look at 200x but I'm quite new to using a dob and found it too difficult to track at high power.

I'm also new to sketching at the eyepiece and am still trying to find the best method of working. At the moment I find I waste a lot of time because I have to remove my reading glasses to look through the scope then replace them and pick up my red flashlight to start sketching, by which time I have forgotten what I was looking at so have to put down the torch, remove the spectacles and look into the eyepiece again and so on and so forth. I'm thinking that a red headlight might help with this but so far have put off buying one mainly because I think I might feel a bit silly wearing it.

The GRS just looked like a loop in the SEB to me last night - I couldn't discerne any colour in it. I tried viewing through a few coloured filters and a couple of these did seem to help me resolve the GRS. I was very happy to be able to make it out though.

Anyway, I'm rambling on. Thanks for your comments on my sketches. I have also done a sketch of a lunar crater which I will scan and post.

John

Archived