Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Equinox 120 firstlights

laser_jock99

Finally got round to attaching a DSLR to my Equinox 120 to attempt some deep sky shots (I've had this scope nearly 3 years but only recently got the obsy finished). These are unguided, prime focus shots with a Fuji S5 Pro camera set at ISO3200.

Orion M42 - single sub 120 seconds

Dscf3265.jpg

Rossette Nebula- single sub 300s

DSCF3270_PR0CESS2.jpg

M31 Andromeda- stack of nine 120 subs

DSCF3221-33_STACK3_process.jpg

To make further progress I think I need some sort of autoguider and maybe a field flattener/focal reducer as the scope is F7 and fairly slow. But otherwise I'm fairly happy with the initial trial shots.

Well done on getting a 300 second sub out of that unguided, with only a tiny bit of star trailing!!!

I recon 20 - 30 stacked subs like that first one of M42, maybe at ISO800 or so would look pretty spectacular!!!

Likewise the Rossette, though that does maybe need the higher ISO to get much detail out of it....

I know a few people who use guided ED120's to get some stunning pics...

Looked at the construction pics of your obsy btw... wow, you have a NICE location!!!! :-) Very envious!

Ben

Well done on getting a 300 second sub out of that unguided, with only a tiny bit of star trailing!!!

I recon 20 - 30 stacked subs like that first one of M42, maybe at ISO800 or so would look pretty spectacular!!!

Likewise the Rossette, though that does maybe need the higher ISO to get much detail out of it....

I know a few people who use guided ED120's to get some stunning pics...

Looked at the construction pics of your obsy btw... wow, you have a NICE location!!!! :-) Very envious!

Ben

Thanks - yes the Rossette 300s unguided was pushing it a bit at 900mm FL and near the celestial equator. I figure the polar alignment can't be too far out? I have yet to do any drift aligning but it might be close enough when guided.

Archived