Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Will this work

wizardaire

I have ordered the LS-8 and want to get live view so that we don't have to constantly pick the kids up to see (ages 3-13) so was looking at buying this..

Samsung SCB-4000P A1 Series 1/2" True Day/Night 600TVL High Resolution Camera 12/24v

would this do what i want? would i have to have a cctv monitor or could i use a small f/s 12v tv?

Hi

Yes the SCB4000 should be fine - and a flat screen TV will be OK so long as it has a RCA video input (most do).

As you have an 8" SCT I'd recommend a focal reducer - the Meade or Celestron F6.3 can be used visually as well as with the camera - if you are going to do both then I'd also recommend a flip mirror - ask Bernard at Modern Astronomy.

You'll also need a C to 1.25" nose piece, video cable and 12V PSU - you can use the same one you use to power your scope.

Hope this helps.

Paul

thankyou very much for the answer

RCA video input...is that the red/white/yellow ? i have ordered the F6.3 ,C to 1.25" I have a 12v power that came with the tv. also got a BNC male plug to RCA phono plug but can't see any where that goes (can't find place on the tv for it) so maybe i bought the wrong 1.

and is flip mirror needed as i want to set the camera up as live view?

so i have ...do i have all i need?

long C Mount to 1.25" Adapter

Focal Reducer F6.3

Focal reducer (1.25")

BNC male plug to RCA phono plug

15" 12v tv and 12v power cable plug(should i change this to a cigar lighter 1?)

Hi

Yes, the video input is the Yellow connector.

You will need a 12V power supply for the camera - I do not think that the one with the TV will be able to power the TV and the camera.

Once you get all your kit, have a play in daylight to get an idea of where the focus point is and align the finder to the camera.

I know that the flip mirror is expensive, but it made a big difference to me - getting objects onto the camera can be tricky. It's not essential, but you will realise that the focus point for the camera and an eye piece is very different so you cannot simply swap the eyepiece for the camera and get an image.

With the flip mirror and a few T extension rings you can get the eyepiece and the camera in focus together - the flip mirror has a fine focus on the eyepiece holder but it needs to be higher than it can reach as standard. I got my extenders from Astroboot.

Good luck

Paul

With the flip mirror and a few T extension rings you can get the eyepiece and the camera in focus together - the flip mirror has a fine focus on the eyepiece holder but it needs to be higher than it can reach as standard. I got my extenders from Astroboot.

Good luck

Paul

Hi thanks for the reply, and sorry but i think i am being completely stupid here BUT do you have a photo or sketch of any sort that shows both camera and flip mirror set up on a scope...don't understand how you can see thru camera and scope next to each other....sorry seems my brains are not that good when "tech stuff are involved" need to look at pictures like a 5 yr old to understand :)

Hi

Ok - here you go.....

doctord-albums-doctord-s-photos-picture14366-flip-mirror-sdc-435.jpg

You switch between camera and eyepiece by flipping the flip lever. You cannot use both simultaneously.

You should fit your F6.3 reducer between the flip mirror and the SCT to T adapter.

You may need a T extension tube between the top of the flip mirror and the fine focuser - mine is very long because I use a x0.5 on the nose piece of the camera - if I do not use the reducer on the camera I still need some extension but not as much as in the photo. I use a variable extension but you can get a selection of fixed sizes on Astroboot for a few pounds each.

You focus the camera with the focuser on the telescope, then use a combination of extension tubes and fine focus ring to get the eyepiece in focus. Once the camera is focused, only adjust the fine focus ring when using the eyepiece.

Hope this helps

Paul

Hi

Give Bernard at Modern Astronomy a call and tell him what you are trying to do - he'll make sure you have the right adapters for your scope.

Modern Astronomy - For visual, video and CCD Astronomy

My flip mirror is the BS Astro (£99) and came with a fine focusing ring, but I needed to buy a SCT-T adapter and the male T to 1.25" adapter.

The Vixen one is cheaper but is not recommended for visual use at high powers (mirror is not as good as the BS Astro one).

Hope this helps

Paul

Small correction - the F6.3 reducer should be fitted onto the back of the telescope first then the SCT-T adapter then the flip mirror.

Note that you do not use the 1.25" visual back or mirror diagonal supplied with the telescope.

Paul

Archived