Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars - 6th November 2011

dweller25

Woke up early , looked outside and it was really clear.

Quickly got dressed and got the 8" Dob out to take a look at Mars.

Unfortunately seeing was very poor - AntIV but you could occasionally catch glimpses of larger surface detail.

Easy to see was the red/orange colour of the planet, it's phase and the pure white North Polar Cap edged by a darker border.

Running off the NPC was the large dark mass of Mare Acidalium.

In the Southern hemisphere Mare Erythraeum could be glimpsed.

Mars is still tiny and a long was from closest approach in 2012 but still is a nice sight.

The actual size of Mars at x240 is the small orange circle in the drawing.

8" F/6 Newtonian + 5mm Pentax XW at x240

6th November 2011, seeing Ant IV, 6:30UT.

post-13701-133877688776_thumb.jpg

Considering Mars' current angular size, this is a very good drawing! Its also reassuring to know my sketches aren't completely out as mine look fairly similar with the darker regions surrounding the polar cap, and then extending to the centre! :D

I would never have seen that other darker region the opposite side to the pole though! Very impressive! :eek:

Thanks guys, Mars is a tough target at the moment but is going to get much better ......

Can't wait as this is the first time around I'm observing Mars with any optical aid! :D Though I do hear that it will get better in future oppositions compared to the one we'll get this opposition.

Archived