NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ancient wonder of planets.

cotterless45

Got up early this morning, looked East and saw the question mark of Leo and a bright object at it's front foot (Mars). All of a sudden I knew how how ancient man must have known the stars and could spot any change or appearances in them .

I've been very lucky to have seen some pristine dark sites in remote places. To see the sky when you can't see your hand in front of your face is a wonderful and ancient feeling.

Go out without the scope and have a look.The night sky must have been a very dramatic and important aspect of ancient life.

I think that early man was an astronomer before he was anything else. For them when the sun went down the stars would have been breathtaking, easily the most noticable part of their environment. If they didnt spend time stargazing they wouldnt have been human. A bone with marks scratched on it that seem to be a representation of the phases of the moon has been found that has been dated at over twenty thousand years old.

Archived