Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

splendidly excentric newtie

hes not well again

So here it is the joy of my declining years, might I even say......my precious?

So, assuming that you have finished any unseemly laughing fits you may be experiencing may I draw your attention to the base which is part of a piece of medical equipment. The alt control is an old car jack, the tube cradle is made from brake shoes and yes the black strut at a 45 degree angle is a piece of fence post. It was built about 40 years ago and I have recently aquired it. It may be a bit Steptoe and son but the man ground a mean mirror.

post-30211-133877687065_thumb.jpg

post-30211-133877687076_thumb.jpg

post-30211-133877687084_thumb.jpg

Thats a fantastic piece of kit, shows ingenuity to the extreme by whoever built it in that particular time period, might be worth sending a piccy to SK@N just to show what lengths Astronomers would go to in years past, could win you letter of the month :icon_salut:

John.

Ingenious. Nice to see something a bit different. Looks like it would be quite good for lunar and planetary. What is the fl and aperture?

Also please tell me that's a warm room in an observatory and not where someone lives.

It has an eight inch mirror and is about an f7. Due to everlasting clouds I have only seen the moon and jupiter with it. As I have no filters yet the moon is painfully bright. As to the room it is the upstairs of my workshop that is being converted into a flat. I thought two very large opening skylights in the roof would give me a good veiw of north and south.

Archived