NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nikon D3000 setting up on my Scope need help

tazzilla

Ok I am a total nube have very little knowledge to what I am doing. I have a Nikon D3000 and plan on setting it up with my Celestron Nexstar 4GT I just bought the T-Adaptor #93635-A and a Nikon T ring. I am really wondering if I will get better pictures of the moon with this set up using the Prime Focus Method or would I have been better off Buying the eyepiece adaptor and shooting photos of the moon with the eyepiece projection set up. Like I said I have never done this before so I am at a total learning stage. Will I be wasting my money getting the stuff needed for eyepiece set up. Thanks so Much Tazzilla

Prime focus. I would avoid eyepiece projection if I were you - I tried it once when I first started astrophotography and the results were awful. The magnification/FOV at prime focus should be suitable for the moon anyway.

I would only recommend Afocal photography if you have a small point and shoot camera. The lens is small enough to fit right over the eyepiece, which gives you some descent shots of the moon and planets. In your case, you have a DSLR with a big lens. Its difficult to get the correct angle to project into your camera lens, and using a camera mount is difficult with a large camera.

A rule of thumb with this type of photography is that less is more (unless your using a triplet refractor). Prime focus requires only your telescope and camera sensor, no eyepiece to cause issues.

Archived