If You had to Start all Over Again!

Equipment - bite the bullet and get decent kit as soon as you are sure astronomy is for you. Buying cheap then upgrading costs more in the long run.

Indeed, you'll get the best possible views right from the start.

If you ever get bored you won't loose too much when you resell (quality items hold their price better).

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I'd got some bins or even a scope 10 years ago when I was living in the sticks in Thailand. Never took the hobby anywhere and really should have.

Now in lovely LP Birmingham I can at least get the right kit from the start, or rather not from the start, having just a pair of 10x50 bins at the moment.

This is a great thread to read. Looking forward to reading more posts.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but a we arnt blessed with such an ability then we have to accept the choices we made, but in hindsight i would have gone straight into a dobsonian from day one.

Gary

Happy with my choices so far, inasmuch that they've all been made within the constraints of a really tight budget! Looking to get a big 2nd hand dob in the new year, imaging is not for me.

Wish I started earlier too.

I would have replaced the "toy" scope my parents bought for my 10th birthday when I got a job, instead of waiting 30 years+ to do it. My Mrs often caught me looking up at the sky and pointing out constellations, planets etc. and bought me a scope after asking a few loaded questions. Muppet that I am, I never sussed. That said, I have after such a long time enjoyed using my little Newt and get so much joy from using decent eyepieces.

Onwards and upwards, I will soon be looking at a new scope and mount set up. Biggest regret and thing I would change? I would have built the obsy when I had the chance, the time and the money to do it. It's a while off doing that now.

Well I love the comments. I can't start over because I just begun. My first set up and only set up 3 days old is a Celestron Nexstar 4GT with a 25mm eyepiece and a T-adaptor and t ring for my Nikon D3000. Have not set up the nikon yet. I paid $80 for the telescope and it works great just need to wait for a clear sky here in Idaho to use it. I hope I made the right purchase. I had a $100 budget and think I did well for my price range. I was clueless and still am if this was a good buy or a waste of hard earned money.

Archived