NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guide scopes

You could mount both scopes on a side-by-side plate or, if your tube rings have flats on the top, you can put on a rail spanning them both and mount your guidescope to that. There is no need for adjustable guide rings with a fast guidescope like the ST80 and a modern guide cam. These Baader clamps (top left) are incredibly useful and clamp onto Vixen Synta dovetail. http://www.baader-planetarium.de/sektion/s03/s03.htm

If you fancied a finder-guider it could go where your finder lives but being finderless in imaging is a pain.

Olly

Malcolm's system is what I'd go for, though I might add one of those Baader clamps between guide scope and rail. This enables you to slide the guide scope forwards and backwards to fine tune the Dec balance, something I find pretty useful. Sliding a big Newt in its rings is not ideal and, for whatever reason, I don't find the Dec balance totally consistent from night to night or in all directions on the sky.

Olly

If you fancied a finder-guider it could go where your finder lives but being finderless in imaging is a pain.

Olly

Why does anyone need a finder?

Set up, polar align, move to target, take a picture & plate solve, align on plate solved coordinates, move mount to target again, check framing and go with imaging run.

Archived