trying to imagine field of view

I have been using some of the online eyepiece calculators which show field of view, magnification, exit pupil, etc. But is there anything online which will take the field of view number (say 1.1 degrees) and demonstrate what that looks like with real world examples? For example, show a typical view of M31 and allow you to see what it looks like with different fields of view? Or is there an app for that?

Cant you see FOV in Stellarium?

If you open stellarium and select a target say Jupiter. Hit Alt+o and select "configure Occular" from the menu that pops up. Firstly you will need to configure a telescope. Give it a name. Add the focal length (mine is 750mm) and the appature size (mine is 150mm) then clik eyepieces and configure an eyepiece in this menu you can add aFOV to the EP. Not sure if this is what your after

Thanks Steve, I had a feeling it was possible with Stellarium and I will give that a try later, but don't have Stellarium on my ipod so I was wondered whether there was anything online. I may try Hemihaggis's idea of looking through my scope and imagining the view that each eyepiece I haven't bought yet would give :D:)

Download "ccd calc". It's really for camera fov calculations but you can get a good idea of comparative sizes with it. Set it up for your scope and a convenient DSLR sensor (find one in the presets supplied) and "look" at the Moon (again preloaded). This gives a good idea of relative sizes - just select the object you want from the drop-down list and you will get an accurate idea of sizes/fov.

hi srry for jumping in on convo but i tried doing the alt+o but no window popped up? any other way of doing it?

found i needed to hit alt+z 1st then when set in there could do alt+o

Which version of stellarium are you running? Alt-z opens the satellite config window in mine.

Never knew 12Dstring did visual as well. Awesome!!!

Archived