NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking for substitude setup!

Hi everyone! :D

I currently the proud owner of a Skywatcher 200p skyliner and a Heq Pro mount. Wheter i feel like imagin or observing i change the scope between the dob mount and Eq mount.

While i still enjoy observing i want to improve my imaging.

1. I want to change my imaging setup to using another scope than the 200p. If theres a little breeze some pictures get shaky even in 30 second exposures. I'd prefer an apo as i see many people taking nice pictures with them, and they seem quite handy

2. I want to get a guide camera and a guide scope. Which do you prefer? I heard you are able to use a finder scope as guide scope is this true? What would you reccomend

3. Im having trouble with my power station. From time to time, my power station runs out of juice, eventhough im not nearly done. Im thinking of buying another power station, but having to switch between the two in the middle of everything seems a bit unpractical. What do you do? Is it possible to connect the Heq5 Pro directly to the power cennection from my house?

Hope some of you are able to help :) By the way, im using a canon 500d as main camera for imaging :o

Regards

A good imaging rig starts with the mount. I'd call the HEQ5 a minimum, but it will be just as good as a Paramount if only carrying a small apo. The standard EQ5, I think, does not have the finely controllable motors of the HEQ5 and these you need for autoguiding.

You can use a finder to guide but I like the cheap ST80 which never fails to find a choice of guidestars and is nice and rigid. But they say finder-guiders work.

If using a DSLR you are time-limited on exposure length by lack of cooling so, above all, you want the fastest f ratio you can get. You'll need a focal reducer/field flattener so I'd factor that in when looking at F ratios.

Imaging with small apos is just great.

Olly

The ED80 is astrophotography's number one giant killer. Unfortunately, after a promising start, the TS scopes have cultivated a reputation on here for diabolical quality control.

An ED80 with flattener-reducer would be my choice, having seen so many great images from them and so many down here visiting and hoovering up the nice juicy data.

Olly

Hi Olly thanks for your anwser, what do you mean by, "the TS scopes have cultivated a reputation on here for diabolical quality control."?

Still looking for ideas and anwsers for the other questiens if anyone is able to help :D

Regards

Lukas

Hi Olly thanks for your anwser, what do you mean by, "the TS scopes have cultivated a reputation on here for diabolical quality control."?

Still looking for ideas and anwsers for the other questiens if anyone is able to help :D

Regards

Lukas

If I'm not mistaken one member got an example that was full of muck, sent it back and got another hand picked example that was also a mess and sent that back for a refund. I'm no good at finding past threads on here but someone might be able to help.

Olly

Guidescope? ST80. Cheap, fast (F5 - it will find guidestars) and with ideal 400mm focal length. Camera? QHY5. Use it in free PHD software. Use the tube of the supplied ST80 Barlow with the lens removed as an extender to bring the camera to focus.

I Use ST80s on both imaging rigs without any issues at all.

Olly

Edit Sorry Dmahon, we crossed in the post. Yes, people report that finderguiders work but I've never seen one. Can't help being less than totally convinced but that's only based on theory and practice is what takes the pictures!

Oh awsome! It says it works for "meade telescopes". Will it work for my skywatcher Heq5 Pro aswell? If it does i'd only need to find myself a socket converter. As far as i know Denmark has different power sockets than you guys in Great Britain.

Thanks for all your help so far!!!! I have decided to get the Equinox 80, and st80+QHY5 for guiding! :icon_salut: Now i just need to get some money for it, as a student i only have the money i get from my part time job. Which is not much. If i havent bought it before christmas maybe santa can help sponsoring some of the setup ;)I

Archived